Since October 1st, 2019 it has been criminal to sublet your apartment without the landlord's consent and receive a rent that is too high. Even mediating, selling and buying leases is prohibited. The changes are important to know because you as a tenant can lose your lease.
· If you sublet your apartment without permission, you risk immediately getting rid of your rental contract.
· You may not charge a higher rent than what you pay yourself. If you sublet your apartment fully furnished, you can make a supplement of no more than 15 percent. You risk losing your lease with immediate effect if you charge too high a rent.
· Having someone living in the apartment with you does not require the landlord's consent. You must use the apartment as your permanent residence and be registered at the address.
· The consent of Älmhultsbostäder AB is always required for you to carry out an apartment change. Both the tenant who wishes to transfer his or hers apartment and the person to whom the apartment has been transferred must have resided in their apartments for at least one year.
· You must be registered in the apartment where you live. Since July 1st, 2018, it has been criminal to submit incorrect information or not to report changed population accounting information to the Swedish Tax Agency when moving. The punishment is a fine or imprisonment.
When a flat is sublet, the primary tenant is always responsible for the flat. Subletting is possible no earlier than one calendar month after a complete application has been received by ÄBO and permission may not be granted for more than one year.